February 01, 2024
Property Management

Insurance Essentials: Navigating Owner and Renter Policies

News & Insights
Understanding the differences between Renter and Landlord Insurance is crucial for both parties. Knowing your specific coverage needs as an owner can protect you from unforeseen financial burdens.

Recognising the distinct differences between owners’ insurance and renters’ insurance is essential to ensure adequate protection for both parties.

Renter Insurance: Protecting Your Personal Belongings and Liability

Renter insurance is essential for renters, safeguarding their personal belongings within the rental property and offering liability protection against incidents like slips and falls. Renters should understand that a landlord’s insurance policy does not extend coverage to the renter’s personal items or liability risks. Without personal Renter Insurance, their belongings and liability for accidents remain unprotected. This coverage typically includes losses due to theft, fire, storm and accidental damage. While it protects contents and liability, the physical structure of the building is covered by the rental provider’s insurance.

Landlord Insurance: Comprehensive Coverage for Property Owners

For rental providers or property owners, the insurance landscape is more extensive. Coverage is designed to protect the landlord for rental-specific losses such as accidental or deliberate damage by renters and their guests, theft and burglary, and losses relating to rental income.

There are mainly two types of coverage:

  • Contents Only Insurance: Appropriate for strata-titled units, where the building is insured under a separate Strata Policy. These policies cover losses related to the contents owned by the Landlord and extends to include fixtures and fittings – such as curtains, and carpets. These policies also often include a loss of rent – for when the renter has had to vacate during a claim, and rent default – where the renter has moved out in rental arrears (where selected), damages caused by pets, legal expenses, and public liability as a rental provider.
  • Building and Contents Insurance: This cover is very similar to Landlord Contents Only coverage, listed above, except that it also extends to cover damage to the building structure itself. It also includes theft and burglary by renters and their guests, legal expenses as a rental provider, and loss of rent and rent default coverage, damages caused by pets, flood cover, and public liability as a rental provider.


Listed Events/Defined Events Policies: beware of listed events policies in the market; this is a form of restrictive coverage which results in more competitive premiums. Coverage in these policy types is restricted to specific events causing the damage, such as storms or lightning – and can often leave you without adequate coverage when you need it most.

At Marshall White, we understand the intricacies of these insurance policies and the importance of having the right cover. That’s why our property management team collaborates with the experts at Honan Insurance Group. Together, we ensure our rental provider clients receive the appropriate insurance coverage tailored to their specific needs.

Navigating the complexities of insurance can be challenging, but with the right information and expert guidance, you can ensure your property is adequately protected. For property owners, the right insurance policy is a crucial part of your real estate journey.