Exclusive access to properties not
advertised anywhere else.

Register now

No thanks

It looks like we are still missing some information to finalise your profile. Please enter your phone number below to complete your account set up.

 In Lifestyle Property Management

Carbon Monoxide: Know the Warning Signs

The safest way to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning in your rental home is to have a detector installed and make sure that it is properly maintained

Carbon monoxide is a gas that is produced by burning any kind of fuel. Colloquially known as the ‘silent killer’, it is odourless, tasteless and colourless, making it difficult to detect without a carbon monoxide alarm.

When people inhale too much carbon monoxide, it replaces the oxygen in their blood, poisoning their organs until they fail. It is highly dangerous and potentially lethal when too much is inhaled, with death potentially occurring within minutes.

Low level exposure over a long period of time can also be very harmful, causing brain damage and seriously affecting your health. This is the kind of poisoning that is more common in a household context and is especially dangerous as the damage can occur incrementally without being noticed.

‘It’s very difficult to tell whether you are suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning,’ says Marshall White property manager Jayde Keysers. ‘If you have concerns about your gas appliances leaking, please tell your property manager as we’re here to help.’

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headaches, dizziness and nausea at the mild end of the spectrum, with more serious carbon monoxide poisoning causing chest pain, impaired vision, seizures and confusion. If you are suffering from these symptoms, leave the area where the gas is emanating from immediately and contact a medical practitioner and your property manager to let them know.

‘We advise that gas appliances in your home should be serviced every two years to make sure they are functioning safely’

Several household items are potentially at risk of leaking carbon monoxide. Gas heaters are most commonly responsible for a dangerous leak, as these tend to be older and more susceptible to developing a problem.

Gas stoves and ovens are also common sources of leaks. Chimneys can also present issues, particularly when they are blocked or improperly maintained.

The safest way to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning in your rental home is to have a detector installed and make sure that it is properly maintained, as well as having your gas appliances regularly serviced.

‘We advise that gas appliances in your home should be serviced every two years to make sure they are functioning safely,’ says Jayde. ‘Your property manager can help you contact a qualified gas technician to service the unit, and if there is an issue the tradesman will repair the appliance or disconnect it.’

If you have any queries regarding property management or leasing, please contact the Marshall White Property Management Team who will be happy to assist. For more information contact us on (03) 9822 8711.

View properties currently for lease below

Contact Us
Sign up to Newsletter

Sign up to receive property results in your inbox
on a Saturday afternoon.

Contact Us

0
X

X

Register for instant email alerts when a property matches your criteria.